About MacIntosh Landscaping
Services we offer
While offering a complete landscape, we also provide specialized services such as ponds, pools, fences, roof top gardens, hydro-seeding, brick pavers, retaining walls, mowing, and tree care service to name a few. Landscaping can increase the value of your home by 15%. A well-planned landscape can expand your living space to include the outdoors. Landscaping adds beauty, functionality, curb appeal and equity to your home.
what we can do:
If having a beautiful garden is something you desire why not let the professional at MacIntosh Landscaping help you?
A garden should be an extension of the inside of your home. Being able to enjoy the beauty of nature in a well-planned garden can be a perfect way to enjoy a relaxing weekend with friends and family.
Let us help you. Our staff are knowledgeable in the field of horticulture and take pride in their work. Whether it be renovating an existing garden or starting a new one we can help you have the beautiful garden you desire.
- Garden design
- Construction and installation
- Seasonal maintenance contracts
- Installation of flowers and bulbs for seasonal displays of color
what we can do:
Hard scape features act as focal points in your landscape. Fences can create barriers for privacy, screening, noise reduction or just for visual interest. We are able to design wooden decks, fences, pergolas and arbors that will add beauty to you landscape.
what we can do:
Brick adds beauty and elegance to any landscape. Brick pavers, segmental retaining walls, pillars, fire pits add texture, color and functionality to your landscape. Whether creating a formal entrance, large patio or small walkway we can help. We are authorized installers for all Shaw Brick products. We know how to properly install the products and ensure that every installation meets or exceed the high quality expected by the manufacturer.
The possibilities are endless when dreaming of a brick paves surface.
what we can do:
Our skilled technicians can transform your landscape into a natural oasis. A water feature can add a sense of tranquility to your garden. A well designed water feature can even have fish and planting that make the water feature look like it belongs.
Back yard gardening can be great fun. Having a water feature not only adds interest but also adds functionality to the space. A back yard pond can create a habitat for many small birds, frogs and fish. The sound of the water adds a calming effect to your garden. Our ponds are high quality Aquascape systems.
The Auqascape system use a natural approach to creating a natural ecosystem which involves imitating the natural forces found in nature to create a balanced pond ecosystem. The correct combination of plants, fish and natural filtration means the pond does not require harsh chemicals to keep them clean and running properly. The Aquascape water feature systems allow us endless possibilities from a pondless waterfall to a large pond with streams and waterfalls. From rushing water to soothing streams, we can create a show piece for you garden.
what we can do:
Using natural stone adds beauty and elegance to your landscape. Using a natural product is environmentally sustainable and adds color variations that cannot be duplicated with a manufactured product.
Listed below are a few examples of what can be done with natural stone in the landscape:
- Stone pathways
- Accent boulders
- Water features and ponds
- Seating areas
- Stone step slabs
- Retaining walls
- Fire pits
- Dry Streams
Natural stone will stand the test of time and the possibilities are endless!
what we can do:
We offer more than just the everyday landscape. Some of the additional services we provide are as follows:
Rain GardensA rain garden is a garden which takes advantage of rainfall and storm water runoff in its design and plant selection. Usually, it is a small garden which is designed to withstand the extremes of moisture and concentrations of nutrients, particularly nitrogen and phosphorus, that are found in storm water run-off.
- Rain gardens can cut down on the amount of pollution reaching creeks and streams by up to 30%.
- The purpose of a rain garden is to help to ensure that rain water is available for plants rather than have heavy water runoff go directly into catch basins or storm sewers. The gardens also help to prevent erosion and slow the flow of water in heavy runoff areas. Planting suitable plants in these type of gardens can add beauty to an otherwise unsightly wet area of your landscape. Finally these gardens help to improve the quality of water that does run off because the garden acts as a filtration system for soil contaminants, pollen, and erosion control.
A mechanical method of planting process that uses a slurry of seed and mulch. The slurry is transported in a tank, either truck or trailer-mounted and sprayed over prepared ground.
If planting a relatively large area, hydro-seeding can be completed in a very short period of time. It can be very effective for hillsides and sloping lawns to help with erosion control and quick planting. Hydroseeding will typically cost less than planting with sod, but more than broadcast seeding. Results are often quick with high germination rates producing grass growth in about a week and mowing maintenance beginning around 3–4 weeks from the date of application. Fiber mulch accelerates the growing process by maintaining moisture around the seeds thereby increasing the rate of germination.
Green Roof installations
A green roof or living roof is a roof of a building that is partially or completely covered with vegetation and a growing medium, planted over a waterproofing membrane. It may also include additional layers such as a root barrier and drainage and irrigation systems.
Benefits of a green roof
- Reduce storm water runoff by as much as 75%
- Reduced cooling costs in the summer.
- Reduced heat loss and energy consumption in winter conditions.
- Natural Habitat Creation for many bird species.
- Filter pollutants and heavy metals out of rainwater.
- Help to insulate a building for sound; the soil helps to block lower frequencies and the plants block higher frequencies.
- Filter pollutants and carbon dioxide out of the air which helps lower disease rates such as asthma.
- If installed correctly many living roofs can contribute to LEED points • Increase agricultural space.
- With green roofs, water is stored by the substrate and then taken up by the plants from where it is returned to the atmosphere through transpiration and evaporation.
- Green roofs not only retain rainwater, but also moderate the temperature of the water and act as natural filters for any of the water that happens to run off.
Having a well maintained property adds curb appeal and value to your home. Relaxing in your backyard can be much more enjoyable when you hire a professional. When choosing us as your trusted partner you can be confident that all of your landscape requirements are being met.
We can customize a maintenance plan that suits your need and budget and we strive to deliver quality service and a professional job.
Our staff are knowledgeable in the field of horticulture and take pride in their work. MacIntosh Landscaping supports the initiatives of Landscape Nova Scotia (LNS) and Canadian Nursery Landscape Association (CNLA)
- Seasonal mowing contracts
- Lawn health care programs
- Pest and insect control using Intergraded Pest Management (IMP) strategies
- Planting bed maintenance
- Proper plant selection
- Plant health care